Born 1975 in Tromsø, Norway
Lives and works in Oslo, Norway
2017-2019: Master in Theater, (regi), Teaterhøyskolen, Oslo National Academy of the Arts. 120 ECTS
1999-2000: Stockholm’s elementära teaterskola (s.e.t.) Stanislavski based actors training, Equiv. to 60 ECTS
1996-1997: Toneheim Folkehøyskole, 1 year full time training in musical theory and singing (opera).
1994-1997: The University of Oslo: Ex. Phil./Ex Fac, History, Theaterhistory. Total: 120 ECTS
SOLO EXHIBITIONS/PERFORMING ARTS PRODUCTIONS
- “Staged Indstitutions III – The Arts Education Factory”. A total staging of Oslo National Academy of the Arts.
The project consists of a website doubleing KHiOs own website, an architectural installation converting the potential use of the schools most beautiful dancesstudio, a re-enactment of Lars von Triers “The Kingdom”, a dogma film based on alter egos of the schools acting student, a performance about the theatre architecture of the theater academy, and a choreographed tour around the complete premises of the performing arts faculties. Performances May – June 2019. The filmprojects and the website as performing platform will continue through 2022.
- Spatial concept and architectural installation for Constance Tenvik ́s installation at the Astrup Fernley Museum for the exhibition “Sun and Spring in Januar”, January-May 2019. The exhibithion also consisted of an artwork that framed the sunlight from the outside and created a light-installation of a sunbeam moving through the room as the day and season passed.
- Installation for the project “Repair/Service” in Berlin.
Installation in a basement location inverting the relation of climbing down/climbing up/climbing inside. The installation worked as scneography for an art project posing as a repair store. Collaboration with artist/designer GFS.
- “Staged Institution II – The Old Post”. A 1,5 year long living architectural installation for the landmarked functionalist architecture of Altes Postfüramt West, Berlin Schöneberg.
Context specific architectural installation and event series exposing and staging contexts of art market/ art institutional structures, and the former post building.
Architectural installation “A chair has a concrete use” in collaboration with Laida Aguirre. Original installation commissioned for the exhibition Concrete Utopias 2015.
- “The idea of the kitchen”. Architectural structure researching framework of public vs domestic spaces. Developed for i,ii-xi, a talk series at “invitation.of.sorts”, Los Angeles, curated by Shoghig Halajian, Andrew Capervitz and Suzy Halajian.
- “Zwiefalt”. Solo exhibition at Atthebar, Studio space owned by Douglas Gordon, during Berlin Gallery Weekend September 2014. Development of an architectural structure and performers displaying the project space and the Gallery Weekend ́s position within the art market economy.
- “Staged Institution I – The Residency” at Gallery 0047, Oslo. A 6 months long living architectural installation that transformed 0047 ́s factory premises into loft-living architecture and hosted a curated residency program. Architecture in collaboration with Kine Lillestrøm.
- “Muscle Temple – Malmø”, for Inkonst, Malmö. Installations for the architecture of the building using all the rooms/corridors/outside to confuse the identity of the venue as night club, fetish lounge, gym.
- “Fittja Centrum”. Context specific project for Botkyrka Konsthall/Yapp, Stockholm, using hidden actors staging the shopping center of the suburb Fittja. Fittja is the location of one of Palme ́s Million programme housing projects of the 60-70ties.
- “Muscle Temple – Bodø”. Festival artist at Parkenfestivalen, Bodø. Displaying/faking Muscle Temple as an international trend/club phenomenon, using hidden actors, merchandize, light boxes, banners, and an architectural installation functioning as a simultaneous karaoke and boxing club. 48h durational performance.
- Direction of the film “Untitled Epilogue”. Collaboration with Johanna Domke.
The film is using the architectural premises of EMPAC, Troy, USA as part of a fictional/ documentary script.
- “Muscle Temple – Brooklyn”, online performance act streamed as part of durational performance at The Collapsable Hole, NYC.
- “Muscle Temple – Oslo”. Performance, reality project, film and web project, first premiered as performance at Black Box Theatre, Oslo, transforming the complete premises of the theatre into a night club, and the neighbouring building into a (fake) gym. The film and realityproject stages members of the scandinavian performing arts scene in a looping game of creating a non-product. www.muscletemple.no
- “enter one”. Solo exhibition at at Christianssands Kunstforening, consisting of 3 videoworks.
- “und• er re• al 1”. Performance incorporating the curatorial, spatial and technical parameters of the main stage at Black Box Theatre, Oslo versus the Brooklyn performing garage The Collapsable Hole, NYC as part of the narrative, mirroring both the venues and their relation/inpact on the post-dramatic form of the performance.
- “Story” Performance lecture under MIT-DEMO in Malmö, based on the black box in the former brewery at The Swedish Theater Academy, Malmö.
- “a city is a body (I am a city)”. Solo exhibition at UKS, Oslo as part of ”Performance program 07”, consisting of three multi channeled video installations based on performative work. Included artist talk as dialogue with Kristian Seltun.
- “auvirkomma veiklinga”, performance using the architectural connotations of various abandoned, public or closed off spaces of Oslo as part of the project.
Performed in Oslo City Jail, Sagene swimming hall, Oslo City Hall, the escape tunnels under the train station at Nasjonaltheatheateret, Borgen Culture house (factory complex used as artist studios) and in the foyer of Black Box Theater. Location project developed/organized by Mari Staurnes on commission by GT.
- “hold me”, performance based on local context and architecture of the middle schools in Vest- Agder and Sør Trøndelag Fylke. Also performed at Black Box Theatre, Oslo, BIT-Teatergarasjen, Bergen, Dublin Fringe Festival, AvantGarden, Trondheim, ASSITEJ, Kristiansand. Commissioned and curated by Sidsel Graffer.
- “erase my skin”, theatre production, BIT-Teatergarasjen, Bergen and Black Box Theatre, Oslo.
- “mad”, theatre production using realism in combination with a spatial nomadic site spesific method, extracting connotations in the theatre architecture as part of the script.
Performed at Centralteatret, Oslo, LIDO/Teatertribunalen, Stockholm, Ålesund
Teaterfestival, Ålesund, Black Box Theatre, Oslo, Teaterhuset AvantGarden, Trondheim, BIT- Teatergarasjen, Bergen, Lørenskog kulturhus, Lørenskog, High schools in Vest-Agder.
2018—— The Voice and the Institution, symposium curated by Lisa Rosendahl and Marthe Ramm Fortun, with Maria
Skravanger Navarro, Ahmad Umar, Lisa Vipola, Malin Arnell & Åsa Elzén, Lars Brekke, Goro Tronsmo.
2015—— Participation in the Exhibition Macrocosmi- Systems of another order, as part of
Berlin Art Week, Berlin 14.09.15-20.09.15, with Saâdane Afif, Jofroi Amaral, Jurgen Ostarhild, Luca Carboni & Gabriel Da Costa, Goro Tronsmo and Laida Aguirre, Amir Fattal, Caroline Le Méhauté, Boris Mikhailov, Alexandra Ranner, Rainer Splitt, Mike Steiner, Hansa Wißkirchen, Amir Yatziv.
- Participation in the Exhibition “Concrete Utopia”, Berlin 1.05.15-15.06.15 with Adam, Beni Bischof, Brad Downey, Bugra Erol, Daniel Weissbach, Iman Issa, Goro Tronsmo, Kevin Kemter, Linus Bill+Adrien Horni, Liz Hingley, Markus Mai, Wermke/Leinkauf, Sophie-Therese Trenka-Dalton, Stefan Marx, Wilhelm Klotzek, Zoë Claire Miller.
- SWIMMING POOL, architectural installation for „Pane Per Poveri – 72 hours“ at Lido, Venice during the opening of the Venice Biennale. Collabortation with Pontus Lindvall and GFS.
2013—— Participation and performance at APAP, New York.
2012—— Participation in the performance project The Broadcast Party at Black Box Theatre, Oslo,curated by Anders Paulin and Anders Mossling.
- Installation for “Samhällsverkstan” by Mossutställningar, Stockholm
Installation based on the architecture, hidden performative strategies with actors, and video.
- “The Secret Cabinet”. Group show curated by Christina Navarro. Web project, sound art and video.
2011——- “Neukölln Norwegen”. Videowork and performance on the opening, reflecting the site and the topic of the nationalities in the curatorial concept. Group show with Liv Bugge, Marius Engh, Anders Kjellesvik, Jannicke Låker, Mai Hofstad Gunnes, Munan Øverlid, Randi Nygård, Anna Særnblom, Magnus Bjerk, Anna Karin Stjernløf, Maja Nilsen, Lars Morell, Trygve Luktvasslimo.
- Muscle Temple, TOU at TOU-Scene in Stavanger. 200 m2 spraywork for ølhallene in collaboration with Kine Lillestrøm. Hidden performers on the opening doubleing a videoinstallation.
2010——— “LAIZZES FAIRE
”, Podium, Oslo.
Context specific light sculpture and grafittiwork connected to Hausmania, video performance in collaboration with Tori Wrånes. Graffittiwork in collaboration with Kine Lillestrøm.
- “Correct me if I ́m Critical”, Exhibition series curated by Adnan Yíldiz.
With: Olof Dreijer & Mt. Sims, Michael Elmgreen & Ingar Dragset, Annika Eriksson, Unni Gjertsén,Natascha Sadr Haghighian, Goran Hassanpour, Gülsün, Karamustafa, Daniel Knorr, Diana Orwing, Marion von Osten, Jennie Sundén & Asa Norberg, Slavs and Tatars, Viron Vert, Florian Zeyfang, Markus Degerman, Judith Raum, Aykan Safoğlu, Markus Li Stensrud, Egemen Demirci, Nilbar Güreş & Nathalie Djurberg, Jens Haaning, Goro Tronsmo.
2015———- “THE LIFE TO COME” exhibition at ØYA festivalen 2015. Curator of context spesific commissions for the festival and in charge of developing structures for displaying context spesific art at ØYA. With Marius Engh and Jordan Rosenfeld, Pontus Lindvall and Laida Aguirre.
Architecture: Goro Tronsmo and Kyrre Heldal Karlsen.
2014—— Curator of the work “SCREAM UNTIL YOU LIKE IT ́” by Yngvild Rolland for the entrance of the ØYA festival, Oslo in addition to developing architectural and structural platforms for visual art commissions for ØYA in collaboration with Kyrre Heldal Karlsen and Ingeborg Staxrud Olerud.
2013——Curating the project “The Residency”. The project transformed gallery 0047 ́s factorypremises into loft- architecture and hosted a curated program: inviting artists, writers and curators that deal with issues connected to architecture, installation architecture, context specificity, non-autonomous objecticality and structural critique and analysis.
2010-11—— Establishing “Muscletemple, Stockholm” as a reference to the Berlin concept, with a gallery connotation based on the current art scene in Stockholm and the location in the famous functionalist building by Sven Wallander at Kungsholmen.
A series of site-specific installations curated to confuse the identity of the venue.
2009-12——Staging of a series of parties, concerts and performance events at a fake club – “Muscle Temple Berlin”, in a location above the old fitness studio Muscle Temple in Adalbertstrasse, Kreuzberg. Collaboration with graphic designer Petri Henrikson.
2007——- “Opening and closing”, exhibition in the old location of Projekt 0047 in Berlin, together with Kine Lillestrøm and Magnus Bjerk. With Elin Hansdóttir, Erla Haraldsdottir, Kine Lillestrømand Magnus Bjerk.
2019———“Don ́t judge a book by it ́s cover” Review of Tore Vagn Lids “Refleksiv Dramaturgi” for Stikkordet nr 1 2019.
2018——— “Young without the realitymachine”. Article in Norsk Shakespeare og Teatertidsskrift N3 – 2018.
2018——— Becoming an audience”. Article in Norsk Shakespeare og Teatertidsskrift N1 – 2018.
2018——— ”En skuespillers boltreplass”. Article in Norsk Shakespeare og Teatertidsskrift N1 – 2018.
2017——— ”Å iscenesette selvransakelsen”. Article in Norsk Shakespeare og Teatertidsskrift Nr 1-2017.
2014——— “The context as the method”. Article in book for Performing Arts Hub Norway ́s 20 jubilee edition. 2010——— ”The liminal people”. Article in Oktobertekst, for Kunstløftet, Arts Council Norway.
2008——— ”story 1 |ˈstôrē|”. Publication of litterary text for Utflukt.
2007——— ”Tekstarbeid og arbeidsmetodikk”. Article in Norsk Shakespeare og Teatertidsskrift Nr 2-3/2007.
2020—— Teaching MA students at KHiO, Academy of Theater on site and contexts spesifity.
2018——- Lecture and podcast as part of lecture series at Dramatikens Hus, Oslo.
Goro Tronsmo on: Institutional Stagings
2017-2018—— Functioning supervisor of masterstudent in acting, Fredrik Høstaker, Teaterhøyskolen, KHiO.
2014/15——Supervisor of Masterstudent in performance studies at Oslo and Akershus University College. (HiAO)
2013——— Lecture at “Open Forum” for BA and MA students at Oslo National Academy of the Arts. (KHiO) Norway.
2012——— Nordic representant at “BIBU”, Lund. Development of performance lecture for public presentation based on workshop with other Nordic performance artists.
- Lecture at conference for art for children and youth, Arts Council Norway.
2011——— Lecture on the congress ”We try to plan it so perfectly” arranged by Kunstløftet, Arts Council Norway. Curated by Rickard Borgström.
2007——— ”Tekstarbeid og arbeidsmetodikk”. Lecture at The Arts Council Norway ́s conference on textdevelopment in contemporary performance.
COLLABORATIONS/ACTORS INSTRUCTIONS ON OTHER ARTISTS PRODUCTIONS
2011——- Direction, casting and dramaturgy on ”Untitled Epilogue”, original idea by Johanna Domke.
2009——- Direction of actors and casting for Mai Hofstad Gunnes film ”An everywhere of Silver”.
2009——- Casting advice for Jannicke Låker on ”When you read this”.
2008——- Direction and casting of actors for ”Stultifera Garden” by Johanna Domke
2018 Winner of Critique of the year from Norwegian Critiques Society for the ”En skuespillers boltreplass”. Article in Norsk Shakespeare og Teatertidsskrift N1 – 2018.
2017 Material stipend Norwegian government grant for artists
2016 Project support for the publication “Staged Institutions” from Arts Council Norway
2016 One year work Stipendium from NBK
2015 Project support for Concrete Utopias and Pane Per Poveri from Arts Council Norway
2015 Project support for Concrete Utopias and Pane Per Poveri from NBK
2015 Project support for the project Minusgreen by Fund for Sound and Pictures, Norway. (FFLOB)
2014 Project support for the pilot project Backstage Tøyen from Kunstløftet, Arts Council Norway 2013 Won a honorary mention during Berlin Architecture Prize 3013 for the project BoG
2013 Project support for The Residency from NBK
2012 Three year working grant for visual artists; Norwegian government grant for artists
2011 Project support for Re-reading Curious yellow/blue from KulturKontaktNord (Developed as part of the project Staged Institutions I, The Residency.)
2011 Travel funding for different installations of Muscle Temple in Stavanger, Bodø and NYC.
2011 Material stipend Norwegian government grant for artists
2010 One year working grant, interdisciplinary artists, Norwegian government grant for artists
2010 Travel Stipend Norwegian government grant for artists
2009 Material Stipend Norwegian government grant for artists
2008 Project support for Muscle Temple from Arts Council Norway
2007 Project support for und• er re• al 1 from Arts Council Norway
2007 Travel grant, Norwegian government grant for artists
2006 Project support for enter one from Arts Council Norway /Norwegian Film fund
2005 One year working grant for theatre directors, Norwegian government grant for artists 2005 Project support for auvirkomma veiklinga from Arts Council Norway
2004 Travel grant, Norwegian government grant for artists
2003 Material stipend, Norwegian government grant for artists
2003 Project support for hold me from Arts Council Norway
Various small grants from Fond for Lyd og Bilde, FFUK, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, KKNord, and Arts Council Norway in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013.